Technology and the machines that use this technology appear to dominate the world today. No one keeps business notes on paper or in files, there is no payroll, sales, budget, or income books because all this information is now kept on a computer’s hard drive or a jump drive. All of a company-owned business information, hardware, or system is known as an IT Asset. If your company decides to do a system upgrade, your company will retire the outdated IT equipment. Before your companies IT Asset are taken away, several factors should be checked out before your IT Asset disposition. If you do not do a final check up then there is a possibility that it could cost your company more than they bargained for. Even if you have set your computers back to factory restore there is a possibility that some of the sensitive financial and personal information is still on your IT Asset hard drive. In addition, when you do the IT Asset disposition checklist it can help you get the maximum value for them on the resale market.
Here is the checklist you should follow before you send the IT Assets out for remarketing or recycling.
• For every piece of equipment that you are trying to remarket have you include the costs of IT Asset disposition as part of the total cost
• Is the one that is doing the recycling going to do it according to all the federal and state regulations
• Has your company checked the vender who is doing the recycling for industry certifications for environmental compliance
• If you are sending them off for remarketing or recycling have they been packaged correctly to meet the federal transportation regulations and to prevent damage during the shipping process
• Is there any risk of data breach when your IT Assets are recycled or remarketed
• Is your IT Asset disposition in full compliance with all applicable stands and regulations such as HIPPA/HITECH, GLB, SOX, PCI, and FACTA
• Instead of sanitizing your hard drives but have physically destroyed them has your company made sure that it will not reduce the value of your computers on the resale market
• Is the one that is recycling your IT Assets covered with errors and omissions (E&O) environmental and data breach insurance and have you verified it by asking to see their Certificate of Insurance
• Are the assets that are being remarketed missing any components such as power supplies, hard drives, batteries, etc, which could reduce the value you will get when resell them.
If the IT Asset disposition is not done correctly then it could cost your company money by having to pay fines.
This article is penned by Lora Davis for AVA Recycling. The company is among the leading electronics IT recycling Chicago company that specializes in offering various recycling solutions to businesses including IT asset disposition Chicago.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Lora_Davis/2146280